Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cupcakes Rule the Day



I know the menu calls for cookies, but it was just a cupcake kind of day.
We decided to try a new recipe, Vanilla Cupcakes, in a fabulous book called 500 Vegan Recipes.
I used the basic recipe except I substituted whole wheat flour. I also made an 8x8 inch cake with the
leftover batter rather than more cupcakes.

This is really a great cookbook because it has everyday dishes and the slightly more exotic.
A good mix for a family. I think I'll make it a goal to try each of these recipes over the next 2 years.

Supper went as planned...I think.

We had speckled butter beans, which I buy frozen. They aren't anywhere near as inexpensive as dried beans
but they taste so good. (It takes about $4.50 to buy enough for a meal and a few leftovers to add to something else.)  I cooked them in Rosey.

I learned how to cook rice in the pressure cooker and it was so fast!  I used the directions in this great book by Lorna Sass.  It isn't all vegetarian meals, but the directions on cooking beans and grains are fabulous.



The slaw was simple:
pre shredded cabbage
3 huge tablespoons of brown spicy mustard
big dash of Original Mrs. Dash
And let it chill.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you have to say.